Switzerland was in the 1990ies an early mover in the field of sustainable investing. Examples include some of the first environmentally focussed funds, the birth of microfinance investment managers, large banks integrating ESG criteria in their credit risk assessment, the advent of the first sustainable stock market indices and, with the Ethos Foundation, the launch of one of the first collaborative stewardship initiatives in Europe. A lack of leadership by the majority of asset owners in the country has slowed down this development until recently. But now, a new dynamism can be observed: sustainable assets under management are rapidly rising, with Swiss Sustainable Finance the sector has gained a strong voice and leading trade organisations including SwissBanking, Swiss Fund & Asset Management Association and Swiss Insurance Association now recognize that Sustainable Finance will be a key competitive advantage for the Swiss finance sector. This is well described in a recently published report by Swiss Sustainable Finance. It mentions onValues as one of the leading investment consultancies supporting the growth of the sector by advising asset owners in their implementation of investment policies and processes.
We are honoured to provide strategic support to the PeaceNexus Foundation through our founder’s role as trustee of the foundation. PeaceNexus provides key actors such as multilateral organisations, governments, non-profit organisations and business actors with expertise and advice on how they can make best use of their peacebuilding role and capacity to help stabilise and reconcile conflict-affected societies. Geographically it focuses on four regions – the Balkans, Central Asia, South East Asia and West Africa/the Sahel – where it supports both international and local peacebuilding organisations with strategy and organisational development advice. It also helps companies active in fragile states integrate a conflict-sensitive approach in their operations and in dealing with local stakeholders.
PeaceNexus is one of the few privately funded foundations fully dedicated to implementing the Sustainable Development Goal #16 aimed at “promoting peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, providing access to justice for all and building effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels”. It recently explored ways to use its capital in support of the mission and seeded a new investment fund aimed at positive peace outcomes through engagement with the companies it invests in. With this total portfolio approach, PeaceNexus is able to increase its impact in the field and to use synergies between the grant-making and investment side of the foundation.
For the second time, WWF Switzerland has released a detailed rating survey of Swiss pension funds’ policies and practices in the field of responsible investing. The analysis focuses on the 20 largest pension funds in Switzerland. Ivo Knoepfel of onValues was part of the panel of experts that provided guidance for developing the rating methodology.
The Swiss second-pillar pension system, representing around CHF 910 billion under management, or 133% of Swiss gross domestic product, carries enormous weight in further shaping the future of our economy. The rating survey is meant to encourage and promote dialogue with respect to pension funds’ fiduciary responsibility for taking into account environmental, social and governance issues in their investment decisions.
The rating was carried out by Inrate and its Managing Partner Beat Zaugg (also member of the Advisory Board of onValues) said: “Every investment also has indirect environmental and social effects. These do not always have financial consequences in the short term, for example in the area of air traffic, where the external costs of global warming are borne not by the producer but by the general public. However, if these costs are internalized in future, pension funds that invest in these sectors will be exposed to investment and reputational risks”.
Few people know that today’s widely used ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) acronym was created by onValues back in June 2004. On behalf of a partnership between the Global Compact and leading financial institutions, we then produced the “Who Cares Wins” report which summarised recommendations by the financial industry to better integrate ESG issues in analysis, asset management and securities brokerage. In the report, we chose to be specific about the issues addressed and not use broader terms such as sustainable or responsible investing. For purely practical reasons, we introduced the acronym ESG instead of having to spell out “environmental, social and governance” multiple times in the report.
The Institutional Money magazine has recently interviewed our founder Ivo Knoepfel and published an article (only available in German) that looks back at the birth of ESG and how its use has evolved over time.
More Articles ...
- Is ESG investing at threat from rising populism and protectionism?
- Engaging with others in support of field building and strategic initiatives
- onValues assists clients in aligning their wealth to a low-carbon future
- Can gold be considered a ‚safe haven‘ investment?
- New Toniic reports help investors navigate impact investment markets
- Currencies as part of a long-term investment strategy
- Investing in sustainable agriculture and food
- Can microfinance add value to a global portfolio?
- How the passion of high-net worth investors drives impact investing
- Challenging future financial return assumptions
- Swiss pension funds and responsible investment
- Rethinking wealth: how an Asian family office successfully aligned its investments to its mission
- Working with peers on best-practice advisory standards
- Applying an impact lens to the entire portfolio
- Feeling the pulse of the German market
- Using scenario and contingency planning to prepare for the future
- A different approach to financial market analysis
- Strengthening mission alignment of endowments at Swiss foundations
- Engaging leading families and their nextgens
- Peter Wüthrich joins onValues
- European foundation meeting marks growing interest in mission-aligned investing
- onValues founding member of Swiss Sustainable Finance
- Network of independent investment consultancies launched
- Asian family office RS Group outlines how it integrated climate change in its portfolio
- A new industry or just a buzzword? Reflections on the state of impact investing
- New opportunities in impact investing
- Positioning Switzerland as a leading sustainable finance hub
- The link between family wealth and global resource constraints
- Mapping sustainable finance in Switzerland
- European foundations mark the trail for mission investing
- onValues calls attention to investment gold
- Impact investing for foundations – Swiss Foundations Report 2012
- Sustainable investments in Switzerland resilient despite difficult market conditions
- Mistra Foundation releases summary of 2011 review of asset managers
- Swiss pension fund uses onValues advice for one of the largest investments in microfinance
- onValues supports PRI and the UN Global Compact in improving company-investor communications on sustainability
- Ivo Knoepfel wins ESG Award
- Cleantech, microfinance, commodities, Swiss pension funds, the future of RI: onValues speaking engagements
- The Responsible Investor’s Guide to Commodities
- Principles for Responsible Investment in Farmland
- European foundations meet on mainstreaming mission-aligned investing
- Agri-investing for the long term
- ’360-degrees for Mission’ showcases SRI and impact investment at foundations
- Ivo Knoepfel joins Steering Committee of the Principles for Investors in Inclusive Finance
- Sustainable investments in Switzerland reach all-time high according to onValues survey
- Responsible investment in commodities
- SRI and impact investments at European foundations
- Improving the effectiveness of shareholder engagement – A Mistra workshop
- onValues facilitates investor meetings on shareholder engagement, climate change risks and opportunities, commodities investments
- Multi-year project on commodities investments launched
- Sustainable investments in Switzerland rebound strongly in 2009, reaching a new all-time high
- Leading Swiss business newspaper highlights potential conflicts of interest of certain investment consulting practices
- Eurosif study assesses role of consultants in the responsible investment field
- Fundamental shift in ESG
- Report on European pension funds’ investments in microfinance released
- Building better long-term investment relationships – a Mistra workshop
- Report assesses financial crisis impacts on the investment industry's consideration of ESG and climate-related issues
- Mistra publishes a summary of its 2008 review of external asset managers
- Sustainable investments in Switzerland contract in 2008, but show more resilience than the whole market
- Future proof? Recommendations to improve the inclusion of ESG issues in investment markets presented at the WEF Annual Meeting
- The Enhanced Analytics Initiative (EAI) publishes its four-year review and announces a new ESG research platform managed by the PRI
- onValues co-authors ‹Sustainable Investing: The Art of Long Term Performance›
- onValues participates in the launch of the first global academic network on ESG-inclusive investments
- onValues brings together real estate investors and academics to discuss environmental and social issues
- The UN PRI Initiative releases new assessment of ESG integration
- onValues releases detailed analysis of the Swiss sustainable investment market
- onValues takes a closer look at SRI growth statistics
- Investing in timberland
- Global Pensions Magazine publishes onValues research into sustainable real estate
- onValues contributes an analysis of climate change related investment research to the 10th Euro Finance Week in Frankfurt
- A workshop with Scandinavian and international investors confirms the relevance of environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues for emerging markets investments
- The Swiss market for ESG-inclusive investments doubles between June 2006 and June 2007
- New frontiers in emerging markets investments
- onValues profiles investment research on mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
- The Swiss market for ESG-inclusive investments reaches 17.9 billion CHF according to a survey by onValues
- onValues publishes an overview appraisal of the current state of ESG-inclusive investments
- Enhanced Analytics Initiative celebrates second anniversary in light of a strong increase in membership
- German researchers assess carbon and climate change risks for the financial industry
- onValues works with the private banking industry on expanding the scope of ESG-inclusive investment
- Communicating ESG value drivers at the company-investor interface
- Article on active ownership initiatives by investors
- Mistra and onValues advance the boundaries of ESG-inclusive investment in the fixed income domain