onValues provides a wide range of services aimed at defining and implementing active ownership policies and processes. Our services are based on the ownership framework set out in the Principles for Responsible Investment (link opens the website www.unpri.org) of which onValues is a signatory. Our services are therefore ideally suited for institutional investors (asset owners and managers) and service providers who have signed or who are considering signing the PRI. Our services include:
- Support in implementing active ownership solutions (based on in-house or out-sourced services), including policy design, exercise of voting rights, multi-asset class engagement and ensuring coherent active ownership policies across the portfolio
- Research, selection and monitoring of external service providers
- Engagement with companies on environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues
- Assessment, selection and support of partnerships and collaborative engagement initiatives
- Definition and implementation of reporting frameworks (internal communication and reporting to shareholders / plan participants and other stakeholders)
- Support in defining and implementing internal training and awareness building programs
- Support in addressing ESG issues in investment policy statements and processes
- Support in developing ESG-related tools, metrics, and analyses
Examples of past/ongoing work for pension funds / other institutions include:
- Support of a leading international insurance group in defining and implementing its active ownership policy (proxy voting and engagement with portfolio holdings)
- Advice for a Swiss corporate pension fund in integrating sustainability and responsible investment principles in its investment policy statement and mandate specifications; organizing a training session for its board. Support in searching, negotiating, overseeing new balanced mandates.
- Support of one of the largest pension funds in Switzerland in defining a strategy for microfinance investments, searching for an appropriate manager, implementing and overseeing the mandate.
- Facilitation of a series of collaborative initiatives of international institutional investors under the auspices of the Principles for Responsible Investment leading to best-practice guidelines in areas such as microfinance, commodities and farmland investing.
Examples of past/ongoing work for foundations / charitable trusts include:
- Helping a Swiss foundation draft its investment policy taking into account responsible investment principles and mission alignment
- Supporting the board of trustees of an international trust active in the field of agriculture research further refine its ethical policy and select and evaluate external asset managers in charge of its implementation
- Helping a Nordic foundation refine its SRI investment policy and supporting it in a series of asset manager searches aimed at implementing a 100% SRI compliant investment portfolio across all asset classes. Support in monitoring the whole investment portfolio.
- Assisting an Asian charitable trust in defining its investment strategy aimed at achieving both financial and social goals. In charge of identifying and evaluating impact investment opportunities in areas such as climate change mitigation, biodiversity protection, sustainable agriculture, rural development, poverty alleviation, micro- and SME finance.
Examples of past/ongoing work for family offices and private wealth holders include:
- Support of an Asian family office in developing the investment strategy for the entire wealth of one of its principals, taking into account sustainability and impact criteria across all asset classes. Global search for suitable asset managers, selection, implementation and monitoring of mandates for the entire investment portfolio.
- Developing a sustainable investment strategy based on long-term economic scenarios using unconventional asset valuation measures for a Swiss family
- Using insights from economic history, behavioural finance and Asset-Liability-Management (ALM) analysis to define the strategic asset allocation of a Swiss family office
- Providing macro-economic advice to a family office, making the case for hedging the currency risk shortly before a significant event on foreign exchange markets made this risk real
- Tailored searches for asset managers and mandates in specific asset classes, e.g. infrastructure, real estate, emerging market equities, sustainable gold, microfinance
- Training sessions on sustainable and impact investing for a range of principals and next-gens.