onValues is active in several international networks supporting leading families invest their wealth according to their values and for positive impact. In April, together with one of our partners, we organised for the second time a workshop on sustainable investing for 'next generation' wealthholders from six different European countries. On 20-21 April, Ivo Knoepfel was a speaker at the pymwymic Family Days. He briefed a group of 30 family principals and over 50 family office representatives on strategies to better align family wealth with sustainability drivers and impact goals. pymwymic is one of the leading family networks in the field.
onValues is pleased to announce that, as of 1st of January 2015, Peter Wüthrich has joined onValues as a Senior Advisor and Member of the Management Board of the company.
onValues and Peter’s former company, Wüthrich, Henz & Co. Ltd., have been working together and sharing experiences in advising asset owners for a while now. Peter has also been a member of the advisory board of onValues. Over time, it became clear that the respective skills, networks and customer groups complement each other very well and that joining forces made sense.
Peter graduated with a Master's Degree in economics from the University of St. Gallen (HSG) and is a CFA- and FRM-Charterholder. With his long and successful track record in the Private Wealth Management industry, Peter is a seasoned investment specialist who will add value to our advisory services.
onValues continues its work with European foundations in this area. After the Brussels and Zurich meetings, onValues recently helped organise and moderate a third European foundation roundtable dedicated to sharing best-practices in better aligning foundations' capital management to their mission. The roundtable was sponsored by the Foundation for Future Generations and Fondation de France and consisted in two meetings: one dedicated to overall investment strategies and governance issues (13-14 March 2014 in Brussels) and another one focussing more on venture philanthropy and impact investing approaches (3-4 July 2014, also in Brussels). 20 foundations from eight countries participated in the meetings.
Swiss Sustainable Finance (SSF) aims to promote Switzerland as the leading centre for sustainable finance. More than 60 organisations – financial service providers, investors, research organisations, public sector entities and others – have joined forces to foster social and environmental aspects in investment and financing solutions. onValues has for many years supported this vision and participated in the working group that has prepared the launch of SSF.
Today, sustainable assets of CHF 57 billion are managed in Switzerland, a significant proportion of which is for international clients. Switzerland is also a hub for innovative impact investing strategies. A third of global microfinance investments, for example, are managed by Swiss players.
More information at www.sustainablefinance.ch
onValues has teamed up with other leading independent investment consultancies to launch Advisornet. Members of this network share similar values, i.e. professionality, integrity and independency in their work for asset owners (HNWI/family offices, foundations, pension funds etc.). One of the goals of Advisornet is to support research and foster a public dialogue on the role of and criteria for independent financial consulting.
Members of Advisornet currently include InvestorsDialogue (financial planning), Wüthrich&Henz (investment consulting), FourA (asset allocation), INREIM (real estate investing), onValues (investment consulting). The network is expected to grow to a level of about a dozen firms in the course of the next year.
In a case-study published by the Alliance Magazine, Katy Yung from RS Group and Ivo Knoepfel from onValues describe their work in helping RS Group incorporate climate change considerations in its entire investment portfolio. onValues has been supporting RS Group for years in further developing its sustainable investment strategy and moving its assets from traditional to ESG-inclusive strategies. The case-study shows how climate change risk and opportunity considerations have been integrated in different asset classes ranging from fixed income, to listed equity, private equity and alternative investments.
RS Group’s strategy rests on three pillars: Support (invest in climate change solutions); Avoid (divest from fossil fuel-intense industries); Engage (engage with investment holdings and share experiences with the broader community).
Download the article
«Alliance Magazine - Stewarding wealth»
Read about our impressions from participating in the Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) conference (10-11 Oct. 2013 in London) in the 'Latest from Alliance' Newsletter.
In a recently published article by Investment & Pensions Europe, Ivo Knoepfel shares onValues' assessment of investment opportunities in the growing impact investment market. Based on its research, onValues estimates that there is USD 70-90bn invested via impact strategies globally, of which about $15bn is microfinance and other themes in developing countries. Community and social investments in developed countries, mainly in the US, make up almost half of the total. A further $20-30bn is accounted for by parts of cleantech, infrastructure and other real assets that are classified as impact investments. Through its proprietary research and databases, onValues helps clients assess the many managers active in the space. The article also includes interesting insights from leading organisations such as GIIN, Bridges Ventures and Social Finance.
Download the report
«IPE Article - Beyond microfinance»
onValues contributed to the recently released white paper "Path to the Sustainable Financial Centre Switzerland" that contains a range of recommendations aimed at strengthening Switzerland's position as a leading global hub for sustainable finance. The paper was co-sponsored by Sustainable Finance Geneva (SFG) and The Sustainability Forum Zürich (TSF) and is based on extensive research and dialogue with over 50 key stakeholders. Among other inputs, onValues contributed a detailed benchmarking study comparing the relative strength of financial marketplaces such as London, New York, Luxembourg, Hong Kong, Singapore and Zurich in the broad sustainable finance space.
Download the report
«Path to the Sustainable Financial Centre Switzerland»
Weitere Beiträge ...
- The link between family wealth and global resource constraints
- Mapping sustainable finance in Switzerland
- European foundations mark the trail for mission investing
- onValues calls attention to investment gold
- Impact investing for foundations – Swiss Foundations Report 2012
- Sustainable investments in Switzerland resilient despite difficult market conditions
- Mistra Foundation releases summary of 2011 review of asset managers
- Swiss pension fund uses onValues advice for one of the largest investments in microfinance
- onValues supports PRI and the UN Global Compact in improving company-investor communications on sustainability
- Ivo Knoepfel wins ESG Award
- Cleantech, microfinance, commodities, Swiss pension funds, the future of RI: onValues speaking engagements
- The Responsible Investor’s Guide to Commodities
- Principles for Responsible Investment in Farmland
- European foundations meet on mainstreaming mission-aligned investing
- Agri-investing for the long term
- ’360-degrees for Mission’ showcases SRI and impact investment at foundations
- Ivo Knoepfel joins Steering Committee of the Principles for Investors in Inclusive Finance
- Sustainable investments in Switzerland reach all-time high according to onValues survey
- Responsible investment in commodities
- SRI and impact investments at European foundations
- Improving the effectiveness of shareholder engagement – A Mistra workshop
- onValues facilitates investor meetings on shareholder engagement, climate change risks and opportunities, commodities investments
- Multi-year project on commodities investments launched
- Sustainable investments in Switzerland rebound strongly in 2009, reaching a new all-time high
- Leading Swiss business newspaper highlights potential conflicts of interest of certain investment consulting practices
- Eurosif study assesses role of consultants in the responsible investment field
- Fundamental shift in ESG
- Report on European pension funds’ investments in microfinance released
- Building better long-term investment relationships – a Mistra workshop
- Report assesses financial crisis impacts on the investment industry's consideration of ESG and climate-related issues
- Mistra publishes a summary of its 2008 review of external asset managers
- Sustainable investments in Switzerland contract in 2008, but show more resilience than the whole market
- Future proof? Recommendations to improve the inclusion of ESG issues in investment markets presented at the WEF Annual Meeting
- The Enhanced Analytics Initiative (EAI) publishes its four-year review and announces a new ESG research platform managed by the PRI
- onValues co-authors ‹Sustainable Investing: The Art of Long Term Performance›
- onValues participates in the launch of the first global academic network on ESG-inclusive investments
- onValues brings together real estate investors and academics to discuss environmental and social issues
- The UN PRI Initiative releases new assessment of ESG integration
- onValues releases detailed analysis of the Swiss sustainable investment market
- onValues takes a closer look at SRI growth statistics
- Investing in timberland
- Global Pensions Magazine publishes onValues research into sustainable real estate
- onValues contributes an analysis of climate change related investment research to the 10th Euro Finance Week in Frankfurt
- A workshop with Scandinavian and international investors confirms the relevance of environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues for emerging markets investments
- The Swiss market for ESG-inclusive investments doubles between June 2006 and June 2007
- New frontiers in emerging markets investments
- onValues profiles investment research on mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
- The Swiss market for ESG-inclusive investments reaches 17.9 billion CHF according to a survey by onValues
- onValues publishes an overview appraisal of the current state of ESG-inclusive investments
- Enhanced Analytics Initiative celebrates second anniversary in light of a strong increase in membership
- German researchers assess carbon and climate change risks for the financial industry
- onValues works with the private banking industry on expanding the scope of ESG-inclusive investment
- Communicating ESG value drivers at the company-investor interface
- Article on active ownership initiatives by investors
- Mistra and onValues advance the boundaries of ESG-inclusive investment in the fixed income domain